The definitive guide to OpenBSD
Foreword by Henning Brauer, OpenBSD PF Developer
OpenBSD, the elegant, highly protected Unix-like operating system, is widely used as the basis for critical DNS servers, routers, firewalls, and more. This long-awaited second edition of Absolute OpenBSD maintains writer Michael Lucas’s trademark straightforward and practical approach that readers have enjoyed for years. You can learn the intricacies of the platform, the technical details at the back of certain design decisions, and best practices, with bits of humor sprinkled during. This edition has been completely updated for OpenBSD 5.3, including new coverage of OpenBSD’s boot system, security features like W^X and ProPolice, and advanced networking techniques.
You’ll learn to:
- Manage network traffic with VLANs, trunks, IPv6, and the PF packet filter
- Make software management quick and effective the usage of the ports and packages system
- Give users only the access they need with groups, sudo, and chroots
- Configure OpenBSD’s protected implementations of SNMP, DHCP, NTP, hardware sensors, and more
- Customize the installation and upgrade processes for your network and hardware, or build a custom OpenBSD release
Whether you’re a new user on the lookout for a complete introduction to OpenBSD or an experienced sysadmin on the lookout for a refresher, Absolute OpenBSD, 2nd Edition gives you everything you wish to have to master the intricacies of the world’s most protected operating system.
“The definitive book on OpenBSD gets a long-overdue refresh.”
–Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD Founder
Frequently Bought Together
This item: Absolute OpenBSD: Unix for the Practical Paranoid$44.08